Thursday, February 7, 2008

Meditation - February 3, 2008


Inviting the Bell
May the sound of this bell penetrate deeply
into the cosmos.
In even the darkest places may living beings
hear it clearly,
so their suffering will cease,
understanding arise in their hearts,
and they can transcend the path of
anxiety and sorrow.

Reading
From Faith in Mind - by the third Patriarch Master Seng Ts'an - translated by Sheng Yen - Published by Shambhala
No need to seek the real
Just extinguish your views
Do not abide in dualistic views
Take care not to seek after them
As soon as there is right and wrong
The mind is scattered and lost
Two comes from one,
yet do not keep the one
When one mind does not arise
Myriad dharmas are without defect.

Guided Meditation - by Robert

Breathing in I am grateful for the fresh air
Breathing out I smile to my breathing

Breathing in I am grateful for the fresh water
Breathing out I smile to drinking water

Breathing in I am grateful for friends
Breathing out I smile to my friends

Breathing in I am aware of Joy
Breathing out I experience Joyfulness

Breathing in I am aware of happiness
Breathing out I experience happiness

Breathing in I am aware of Joyfulness
Breathing out may my friends experience joyfulness

Breathing in I am aware of happiness
Breathing out may my friends experience happiness

Breathing in I am aware of Joyfulness
Breathing out may all beings experience joyfulness

Breathing in I am aware of happiness
Breathing out may all beings experience happiness

Reading
from "The Mind King" - by Master Fu. Translated by Master Sheng Yen
Published by Shambhala Publications, Inc.
("The Mind King" is one poem in the book: The Poetry of Enlightenment).
This poem of Master Fu describes pure mind; The mind after enlightenment. It also tells us that we always possess pure mind but we don't live in the state of pure mind because of our thoughts and vexations. Here is a stanza from the poem:

"When you realize original mind,
The mind sees Buddha.
This mind is Buddha;
This Buddha is mind".

Silent Meditation
We had 10 minutes of silent meditation


Reading
from Zen and the Art of Happiness - by Chris Prentiss
Published by Power Press
Adapting to Change - pg. 87
The author tells how he bought a new car and had it parked in the alley. He came out just in time to see it get scratched by an old VW. The driver got out and was very distraught and obviously had no money to pay for the damage. The author told him that it was perfect. Now he will not worry about his new car being scratched. The driver was so happy he danced in the alley and the author gave him a contact with a friend where he got a job. He later came back to pay for the damage but the author refused it saying that he liked the scratch and that it reminded him that the universe is perfect. The story is very moving the way that it is presented int he book.

Silent Meditation
We had 10 minutes of silent meditation

Open discussion


With Loving Kindness,

Robert

1 comment:

River Sanctuary: Marykaye said...

Thank you beautiful friend for posting this lovely story...